This course is aimed at people who require the knowledge and practical skills needed to enable them to safely operate a MEWP Boom.
To provide knowledge and understanding in the following areas:
- Have a basic understanding of the industry, the dangers of working in the industry and their responsibilities as a plant operator
- Have a working knowledge of the manufacturer's handbook for the particular machine to be used, and be familiar with other types of information sources and relevant legislation
- Be able to locate and identify the major components of the machine and explain their functions
- Be able to locate and identify steering, driving and breaking controls and explain their functions
- Conduct all pre-operational checks in accordance with manufacturer's and legislative requirements
- Check all emergency lowering functions
- Safely mount and dismount the machine
- Configure the machine for travel
- Configure the machine for travel and manoeuvre it safely on level / rough ground and inclines in open and confined areas
- Conduct all necessary safety checks at the work area, including overhead and underground hazards
- Manoeuvre the machine to the work area and correctly configure in readiness to carry out accessing tasks
- Carry out accessing tasks, at various points up to full operating height
- Travel with platform raised (where applicable)
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of loading and unloading procedures for machine transportation
- Carry out all end of shift and shut down procedures
For learners applying for the NPORS CSCS Card, or for those requiring the 'HS&E TESTED Logo' displayed on their card they must have passed the CITB Operatives Health, Safety and Environment Test within the last 2 years.
A good understanding of spoken and written English.
An NPORS Theory assessment made up of open questions and multiple choice answers along with an NPORS practical assessment.
For entrants that wish to apply for the NPORS Traditional Card, there is no requirement to do an NVQ qualification. If the 'HS&E TESTED Logo' is required on the card, entrants must ensure they have attended and passed the CITB Operatives Health, Safety and Environment Test within the two years prior to application for the card.
Once successfully tested operators who do not hold the requisite NVQ with the units applicable to the category of plant achieved will be issued with a Trained Operator card valid for 2 years from the date they were tested. During the two year period they will be required to register for and achieve the requisite NVQ with the unit credits applicable to the category(s) of plant held on their Trained Operator card.
On successful completion of this process a Competent Operator card will be issued valid for 5 years from the date of application. A CPD record / operator logbook will also be issued.
Once successfully tested operators who do currently hold the requisite NVQ with the unit credits applicable to the categories of plant held on their NPORS card will be issued with a Competent Operator card valid for 5 years from the date they were tested. Operators in receipt of the Competent Operator card will also be issued with a CPD record / operator logbook. This will be an ongoing record of the operators continuous professional development and of their operating hours in the workplace.Contact Us More NPORS Plant Training Courses Our NVQ Training Courses